Our Goal Is To Have Fans Who Rave About Our Integrity! Service! & Results!
Jon & Carolyn Ulrich
10 Tips for Buying a Fixer-Upper
Welcome to Minnesota - Ulrich Real Estate Group - Your Source for Real Estate throughout the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul and surrounding suburbs of the seven county metropolitan area.
Here are 10 Tips for Buying a Fixer-Upper ...
Buying a basically sound house and updating the cosmetics is a profitable thing to do in almost any market. But be careful what you buy or it may end up costing you later on.
Here are 10 things to consider when selecting a fixer-upper:
1. Purchase homes that are at least 30 percent below the market value of comparable nearby homes.
2. Choose a location with a low crime rate, good schools, and quiet streets. There isn‚€™t anything you can do to cure a poor location.
3. Choose a house with three or four bedrooms. Smaller homes are unlikely to have enough buyer appeal.
4. Avoid homes that need major unprofitable repairs, include wiring, major plumbing, foundation repairs, major kitchen and bathroom renovation, room additions, and/or a new room. Spending money on these basics doesn‚€™t add value. Buyers expect them.
5. Find a home that needs profitable cosmetic improvements like fresh paint inside and out, new light fixtures, new carpets and flooring, and fresh landscaping.
6. Look for affordable, low down-payment financing, such as taking over an existing mortgage, lease with option to buy, seller carry-back financing, or a combination.
7. Avoid obtaining new bank financing until the fix-up work is completed and the home‚€™s market value has increased.
8. Don‚€™t buy a fixer-upper that is more than 60 minutes from your current residence because it is important to visit everyday while the renovation work is being done.
9. Make sure that the seller or tenants will vacate immediately upon transfer of title.
10. Look for sellers who are motivated to sell and who want to make the sale happen.
Source: Inman News, Robert J. Bruss (09/01/07)
If you are needing affordable red carpet service with your Real Estate needs you have come to the right place.We go the extra mile to serve you. Our goal is to have fans that rave about our integrity, service and results.
|Featured Homes | Open Houses | Property Search | Minnesota Office Condos | Rental Properties | Commercial Properties | Vacation Properties | Lake Properties | Rental Places | Properties By Email | Home Criteria | Buyers Tips | Mortgage Calcs | Sold Homes | Market Analysis | Sellers Tips | Newsletter | Investment Property | Wilds of Prior Lake | Twin Cities Safari | About Us | Client Appreciation | Testimonials | Preferred Lenders | Realtor Network | Preferred Partners | Email Form | Site Map | Home Page | Blog|